Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

jsm71 wrote: "Great that they sound as you describe. Alarming that at 1 ohm load levels these redefine the term needy when it comes to amps. I guess it is all worth it in the end if the sound is right."

Old topic but...

Yes, it is worth it.
I got hold of Carvers Sunfire 300x2 power amp some weeks ago and WOW!
I will copy and paste what I wrote on the Carver site...

The users manual clearly states that the Sunfire 300 are fully capable of driving Scintillas after being modified by the Sunfire Corporation free of charge. (Continuous High Power Operation Below One Ohm)

Apart from that I actually hocked up the speakers with the amp and DAMN!!!! And Jesus Christ!!!
What a beast!!!
My GOD did it perform!!!
And what control of the bass membrane!
And the absolute effortless dynamics with scary detailing!!!
I am in HEAVEN!!!

I have NO clue what so ever if this amp got modified before but i measured and calculated that I was putting out 1200 watt peaks into 1 Ohm. And this was LOUD! And apart from being loud it was clear and dynamic.
The only reason I didn't push it further was that the light in the room was clearly flickering along with the peaks and I didn't want to blow the fuse in the small house I have my equipment in.

The "funny" (read scary) thing was that I started to note a smell like some kind of wood on fire.... was some cabling inside the wall starting to give in???
Anyway I turned down the volume and touched the amp to check the temp. It was just barely warm.

For now, I don't feel the need of any modification.

So anyway, I am extremely pleased with the performance and the overall sound of the amp!
Why the heck did Carver quit/stop this line of amps???

Cheers!

The one who succeeded was the one who didn't know it was impossible.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.