Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: For Clarification

The "one note bass" on the large apogees is a matter of room fit. Put them in a small room and you get a dark FR and one note bass - even worse than the FR sweeps indicate - which is quite benign.

But in a proper room, like a 20X30+ room at the dealers where I heard them most often, the big Apogees are well balanced and have a ballistic quality to their bass that I only get from my Tympani when they are braced to the wall, even then, despite all the power afforded to them, the bass is still a little lacking relative to big Apogees (Diva Scintilla and less so with Caliper/sig mini/Grand - which I heard there).

The Apogee Full Range I heard in the used room at one of the Audio consultants stores was badly out of tune in the bass and was overwhelming one note and even wooly.

There is one good solid thing about the Apogee midrange and that is its ability to provide transient impacts that can't be had from other planars save the BG Neo8 family (in long arrays). unlike the maggie and even neo8 mids, there is a much lower threshold volume where the speaker provides full detail. It is not too far from what you can have from Quads or Acoustats or the ML CLS.

For mezzo piano listeners like Morricab, there is no way you can use a maggie, but you might get away with an Apogee. You can also get away with a Neo8 array, but though it matches or exceeds big apogee mids in every other subjective measure of performance (particularly the lack of the high spl screetch of the apogee mids and tweeters), it can't do low volume linearity quite as well. Fortunately for me, being a forte listener, it does not pose a problem.

The Stereophile measurements were done in JA's rather limited space and they are done too close to the speaker (including at his listening seat). I would doubt that they reflect what someone who buys a large apogee would hear in the large room they would probably place it in.

I will also agree that when you play even at moderately loud levels, the 3.x models do "sound like a toy" in comparison to a large Apogee, or a large maggie, for that matter. The 3.7 don't review as being any different in that regard.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: For Clarification - Satie 15:03:04 05/16/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.