Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Heard a reference level planar speaker last Saturday

Well, Maggies get bashed here too, frequently. :-)

After all, Morricab started this thread with "Compared to the Maggie 3.7 I heard recently, this thing is the real deal and the Maggie sounds a bit like a toy." A sentiment which I didn't dispute, since I've only heard the 3.7 and so have no personal opinion to offer, just a sense of curiosity.

I see discussions of the pros and cons of various speakers more as a source of useful information than some kind of dick size contest. I'm curious to know what their strengths and weaknesses are, both from an engineering perspective and the perspective of improving my own system.

Some seem to have gotten the impression that I was out to bash Apogees here, but that wasn't the case. Like any speakers, they have strengths and weaknesses, and different people may consider one or another more important given their preferences and the type of listening they do. In his review, Morricab described some of each.

My personal speaker choice was based on a number of factors, and always included improving the IVa's where they're weak -- mostly in the midrange -- and taking advantage of their strengths, e.g., their midbass reproduction and the true ribbon highs (also subject to improvement since the ribbons have been improved). And I've often said that if I could do anything, I'd probably do what Mmlrot1 did and combine the strengths of Tympanis and stats. But I think Satie's Neo approach is also good, and it's more practical for me. So I'm still leaning towards it. An Apogee-style midrange ribbon could be good as well, if it were practical for me to do, which it isn't.

It troubles me that since I mentioned a few Apogee weaknesses, people seem to think I'm on some kind of anti-Apogee crusade. No speaker is perfect and no speaker has a perfect combination of strengths. And each manufacturer makes a line of speakers, with varying qualities, and improves them over the years.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.