Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: curious...

Hi Dennis !

Here is my few comments and personal conclusion to yours topic :

a)- You say all that things about that different amps produce different level of generated heat on the (load)speaker VC .
b)- And you say that musical signal have to be presented in correct time in to the load(speaker).
My personal conclusion is that both of yours observation is correct ! , but I think that both effects is also very tightly connected to the amp Slew Rate characteristic , respectively to amp output power signal Rise time speed rate vs. amp output power signal Fall down time speed rate characteristic .
Performing famous 10Khz square wave signal amp test you can only partially check that , since the real music signal have quit different shape .
c) You say - I think that the stage that drives the output device must be designed for the speaker to be used.
My personal conclusion that this yours claim is here correct to , but is also tightly connected to implementation of DC coupled driver tube to the output device ( triode ) ,in order to achieve the best possible amp sonics , but anyway I think you have to take care where that output device (triode) tiny grid peak music signal AC currents actually flow & finish , I think it is always better to be directed via to the load(speaker)rather than to goes somewhere else .
d) You say -I regard (conceptually) an output stage not so much as an amplifier -- I regard it as a slave-- a modulated coupling device that is between the power supply and the speaker.
Roughly speaking You are correct here to , but don`t forget that between output device and load(speaker) is OPT , placed like pasive impendance matching device , then you have there bias network circuit around that output/driver devices to , and ...etc , things which usually if is have not designed in proper way can worse the amp sound significantly .
On the end I must say next to :
Personally I`m not the big fun of SE(T) amps ! , but I like & support open mind people like you who want to goes forward and try to make modern & better sounding tube amps following self intuition and ears , but have non conventional design approach to .
And just this to :
I observed that in the far past times many succesfully top SS amps designers have borrowed ideas, concepts & solutions from the early best sounding tube amp designs.
For example :
Mr. John Lindsley Hood has made in the early 60` his famous 10W A class SS amp directly copying famous Williamson PP tube amp concept , later in early 70` many top USA & Japanese SS amp designers have directly copying Futterman OTL tube amps original design solutions , in the recent time many top SS amp designers Worldwide have copying even OTL Circlotron tube amps designs solutions .
Today if I made analysis of relative good sounding & modern SS amp original circuits I can found there many valuable design solution for modern & better sounding tube amp to , so I suggest you to sometime check this advanced SS amp circuits .
And yes , IF is possible attach here your amp schematic ,presented even with out of particular elements values , because if your amp really sound good than no matter what I or anyone else here think , writes ,praise or criticize , final judgement well come from yours customers ears anyway .

Best Regards !

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: curious... - Banat 10:02:47 07/05/12 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.