Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Sound Practices Information.....

Well, guys, what are you waiting for? Good Ole' Jeff has given you the goodies!

Now, you can read the articles and learn WHY these Italians liked this approach better than anything else. Remember, they were listening to Italian Opera-- which is demanding musically.

Sure, I have perfected it. But, you cannot deny that their version of the concept did sound very realistic-- musically, even though it was operating in a narrow bandwidth-- measurement-wise..

Of course, that didn't really hurt it much.

Why is that? Even after rolloff of both highs and lows, the thing still responded well to micro-signal input. What happened is that although highs were rolled-off, THEY WERE STILL THERE!

That is FAR better than an amp that is measured flat-- say-- out to 35,000 HZ, but WILL NOT RESPOND to micro signals in frequency ranges even well below that, but must be POWER-DRIVEN to give even a passing nod to those energies.

Of course, the Miller-Effect eliminated amp will not drive a H.-EFF. speaker well at all, even though it measures well AT FULL POWER..

What happens here is that the rolled-off Italian design reproduces FAR more highs than the amp that has much more H.F. extension-- but not into a H.-EFF. speaker-- the extension to 35,000 HZ (as an example) is only on paper-- it is real enough if the amp is driven hard, but it DOES NOT occur in a H.-EFF. SPEAKER when the amp IS NOT driven hard..

In this case, amp measurements on paper don't prove power-response to SMALL signal input. The Italian's amp does respond-- at small signal levels, and that is the secret of it.

It can be rolled-off at both ends of the audio frequency extremes and yet deliver FAR more input of those rolled-off frequencies into an actual speaker-- than can the Miller Effect-Eliminated amp that measures perfectly, but will not respond to micro-signal input..

Now, I'm NOT interested in another mud-slinging contest over this. This is FREE, valuable information, TRE, MACH1, and GEO.

TAKE it or LEAVE it.

The Italians liked it and had fun with it. And, that wasn't even close to what is possible.

Oh, I KNOW-- several of you don't think that these are serious amplifiers. What did they use in the front-end-- a 12AX7?

Oh, but that can't work! It's that horrible Miller stuff! Yeah, sure. But it DOES work.

Have you ever asked WHY? I did.

---Dennis---

Edits: 06/28/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.