Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Why is it so?

This is only my idea, so don't consider it the last word on this subject.

You should confer with transformer and motor designers-- not just builders on this.

My own idea is that wire INSIDE a Transformer's Magnetic Field is part of a reaction between the conductors inside the Mag. Field and the laminated core which is storing and releasing energy. The output wiring that is INSIDE the transformer's Mag.-Field can thus be viewed as the output winding of a generator-- as far as this wiring's output loop is concerned.

Wiring that is OUTSIDE of this generator is merely a conductor. Energy losses there are far more than losses that occur INSIDE the generator-- it tends to self-correct its own losses, because it is part of an energy-storage/delivery system-- which tends to DELIVER on demand--not RESIST on demand.. (The transformer laminations are storing and releasing energy-- this system tends to self-correct-- to some extent).

A mere conductor, operating in empty space has no mechanism to self-correct. It is-- basically-- a resistor, although in both cases, we're also dealing with capacitance and inductance as well. Capacitance and inductance are greater INSIDE the transformer.

If you're going to use Silver, THE most important place to use it is in the output leads of your transformers/chokes-- and in all of your amp's wiring.

The LEAST important place to use it is in the transformers INTERNAL wiring-- although using it there will also result in improvement-- but improvement there will be much less than it is in output leads and in general wiring.

---Dennis---

Edits: 07/08/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Why is it so? - tube wrangler 15:55:06 07/08/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.