Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: energy loss and wiring...

Everything we're talking about can be measured. The thing is-- at what price?

Test equipment costs a lot. Arranging personnel and setting up experiments to be scientifically valid is very expensive and horribly time-consuming.

Fortunately, I know a few engineering talents at Universities where I have been a student-- and I know folks from the Oil, Mining, Power and Timber businesses, not to mention Cattle Ranchers.

All of these folks are no fools, although they may differ in both approach and perceived results. Most can afford, and do have-- outstanding home music systems.

All of these people are helpful and will pitch-in and help me when I need it. I'll do it for them also. Set up a new system, or get an existing one better sounding. Then, again, I might just help fix fences or rebuild a tractor engine, or the kid's Motocross Bike. I might wire up Diesel Power for a Mine-- whatever. Neighbors and friends. A strong people who know what they're doing, and are creative and inventive.

None of that need matter to you if you'll just take a hard look at a wiring and component layout.

Just look at it. Where are the Bottlenecks? What is in the way of something else-- or worse, may be shielded by it, it may be in a magnetic or a static field, or it may be mounted at a wrong angle-- to something else.

A wire may be too long. A wire might be near another wire-- or worse, dressed against metal (chassis, etc), or it might not be floated in interior space in the right dimension. Some idiot might have used shielded wire instead of using a single run of-- say-- Siltech LS-38, and then floating it physically where it has to go.

Maybe the chassis isn't deep enough to allow 3-dimensional mounting of parts-- that sucks! (Fix it)-- and is causing it to distort whatever part is mounted in it.. Maybe the chassis is made of wood or plastic instead of steel or brass. Maybe it's aliminum and the guy doesn't get it-- aluminum isn't for High-Voltage circuits! It really sucks up H.V. and deals with it in ways that you don't want in your music!

If steel (excellent), maybe the guy didn't use enough brass to isolate all the iron components..... Maybe the thing isn't heavy gauge-- maybe it's a Tin Can. Well, then it will sound like a Tin Can!

Is there anything in the circuit model that impedes the flow of musical energy. In the cables, in the interconnects. In preamps (UGH! PREAMPS!! What musical short-circuits THOSE ARE! Besides, they're obsolete-- ancient artifacts). Today we have source components that can drive amps direct.

Just look at it! What do you see? THINK! Where are all the energy bottlenecks? How do you fix ALL of them?

Then, just go to work and build the whole thing right. It is very gratifying because every time you make something better-- the sound gets A LOT better.

Transfer efficiency is a kind of grab-all term meaning that your losses have been minimized, and your energy flows are not being slowed down, phase-distorted or current-starved, or bandwidth compromised any more than is absolutely necessary in order to use a component that will do what you want in all other ways..

You just let things flow unimpeded, so music is also able to do that.

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: energy loss and wiring... - tube wrangler 11:17:29 07/05/12 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.