Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: here's what started it

Hello GSH,

You relied primarily upon me, and I was NOT correct in values and voltages in several areas, as my understanding of the circuit was not as good back then, as it would be today.

We both should disclose the fact that I told you to make the AC cord (ONLY) out of inexpensive Carol 300 VDC or 600 VDC 12 AWG wiring, and the audio out of TCSS and silver wire.

The TCSS never got installed. You wired the amp mostly with the inexpensive 12 AWG Carol, which has a "big wire" (very negative) thick and out-of-time sound to it.

Use of huge Carol 12 AWG hook up wire, in places other than the AC cord, guaranteed poor sound IMHO.

I also had the B+ supply filtering and shunt regulators mis-done, totally my fault back then, as far as obtaining low ripple. I made the same error with Slownlo, and even my own implementations in 2008-09.

You also never sent me a finished schematic of what you made, so that I could comment on voltages, and various obvious errors I would have spotted. IMHO, we BOTH made errors back then.

That a CCS improved things is not surprising at all to me, it was a band aid for numerous implementation and circuit errors. You gave up on the project, before fully informing me of exactly what you built and allowing me to suggest corrections. About two years later, in 2010, I told you quite precisely in what three areas that amp was "boogered", and it certainly was.

Its a shame you have never heard one of Dennis 2A3 amps, to know what performance level is possible. I have, that is what keeps me active.

Live and learn.

Cheers,

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 06/28/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.