Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: at RMAF

It is all about the sound.

When things are done right, the sound will be better.

It might not be recognized as being better.

One needs to know what real instruments sound like to start with before they can judge if a system is doing a good job at reproducing.

Leave the Miller not fully driven.....leave the cathodes not fully bypassed and the system will not be doing a good job at reproducing.

Will some people like or even love the way that sounds?

You betcha!

Let me be clear.

If God Almighty Himself said that a system and a recording was perfect, not everyone would like what they hear.

I have made changes in my system, over the years, that were clear, definite improvements in the technical behaviour of the circuit.

When listening for the first time (or even the second time) I didn't recognize it as an improvement.

Given time it became clear that that piano DID sound more like a real piano.

That Martin acoustic guitar did sound more like a Martin acoustic guitar.

Being a recording engineer, I know what these instrument sound like in the real acoustic world.

The thing is, I had become accustomed to the flawed sound of the previous circuit.

This is something that we all need to guard against constantly.

Get to know the sound of real acoustic instrument (without mics or amps or loudspeakers). They are the only real point of reference we have.

Whenever I hear someone say a system sounds "good" I take that with a large grain of salt.

There are plenty of people that think 1970's Japanese receivers and Bose speaker sound "good".

I just had one at my house not 2 hours ago. He was impressed with my system but he should have been blown away. The bottom line....he doesn't have a clue.

Tre'

Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 06/26/12 06/26/12 06/27/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: at RMAF - Tre' 16:40:32 06/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.