Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: curious...

Ralph, I understand.

Trouble is, if you think we've got problems with MISUNDERSTANDERS INC. now, just let me get started on VC heat! We could take years on such a thread!

AND VC (voice coil)-- what did I call it-- fibrillation? Yes. That's when the amp is tossing things at the speaker that are NOT MUSIC-- things that are out of time-frame, and cause the speaker diaphragm/VC to both overheat and to deliver a lot of motion that isn't related to the music at hand-- the diaphragm/VC is in fibrillation-- just like a Heart Patient-- it's got useless motions.

OK-- so the VC gets hotter! You would too if you were putting out tons of energy and weren't getting a lot done (not anything very much, that's for sure-- there's always SOME wanted motion there-- otherwise we'd have no music at all, so this is a discussion of DEGREE)!

To me, it's obvious, we can certainly hear the results of it, and we are certainly seeing huge differences in the actual driving abilities of different amplifiers-- even when delivering the same watt power into a speaker.

Well, that's just empirical/observation/opinion! True. So prove it! OK-- you can do it yourself-- just measure the heat buildup in the VC. You can also look at a woofer cone and see whether it is moving all around, or whether it is steady-- yet is producing high SPL output. Yes-if it's motion is virtually undetectable, but things are loud- that's a better amp!

Today, engine builders use heat-sensing guns all the time. Just point the thing at what you want a temp reading on. What turns you on? Water temp, combustion flame temp, exhaust temp-- piston-top temp while the engine is running? Sure. Done. A good one of these can read piston-top temp right thru the head or cylinder block.

Nice. OK-- no surprise to me-- I'm the guy who was using Hard Rock Mining Mud Pumps in the Oil Field. No, it wasn't popular with the Oil-Field-Only guys.

TOO BAD-- just another problem NOT SOLVED by those who can't imagine something different so things will work better. They, instead, wanted proof. (Always). By the time they get that, 40 other things will have gone wrong on their watch-- and have to be fixed because they wanted proofs all the time-- while problems they refused to solve mounted up-- it's nothing new, Mankind always does this! Look at WW1, WW2, and NOW FOLKS-- stay tuned!!! WW3!! Tah-Dah!

SAME old BS. Problems DID NOT get solved BECAUSE all people do about anything is keep demanding proofs from other people instead of doing right thinking and action-- THEMSELVES. They have to have LEADERS! ASSURERS! You can hire those-- all you want! Just bend over......

You gotta get off this kick, think for yourself, TAKE YOUR MIND inside that speaker VC, and DECIDE WHAT'S GOING ON IN THERE YOURSELF.

Of course, you CAN measure it. But WHY? Your MIND is more accurate-- it CAN SEE IT!

---Dennis---

Edits: 07/02/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.