Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

If it were not for Ralph Nader...

...we would never have invaded Iraq.

The story I like to tell about CR is about a shampoo review probably a quarter century ago. I have had dandruff since I was quite young. In this review of shampoos, the only mention of dandruff shampoos was this dismissive comment: "Any high-quality shampoo should remove dandruff flakes." The clear implication is that dandruff shampoos are a waste of money.

So I slapped my forehead and went out and bought their #1-rated shampoo. Within 2 days the flakes were raining down and my head felt like I had flees.

The other problem with CR is that their hypocrisy. Their methodology has serious problems--most importantly, that they fail to account for unit-to-unit variation, basing their judgments on a single sample. But sample-to-sample variability is one of the most important manufacturing faults.

There are other problems--like the fact that they seem not to pay attention to quality of construction. One product may have tighter tolerances and be built out of better parts than another, but if the other performs better when it's new--during their tests--they'll recommend it instead.

I haven't read the mag in years. Maybe it has changed.

Jim

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.