Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

JV Breaks a Metphor? Need Help From the Left Coast (and Zither Players)

I was browsing through the recent TAS with the Pass Labs gear on the cover. On page 96 Jonathan Valin (writing about the acoustics of a zither) declares that the sounds "swirl through the large wooden body of the zither like the powerful cross currents in a tide pool".

I haven't been to the beach for many years, but I always thought that a tide pool was a relatively small pool of water (hopefully with some interesting sea creatures) left behind on the rocks as the tide receded. As a closed pool (with no pumps), I was pretty sure that there weren't any currents, let alone "powerful cross currents". Please take a look at the picture of a tide pool from Wikipedia and let me know if you see any "powerful cross currents".

Having never actually played a zither (or even seen one in person), I figured I would take advantage of my time on Wikipedia to see just how large the wooden body of zither is. Take a look at the photo (again from Wikipedia to be illustrative of zithers in general). When I think of a "large wooden body" I tend to think of, oh say, a piano or maybe a double-bass. What about you? Do you see a "large wooden body" in the photo?

Is JV as good as this with metaphors in the books he writes?

By the way, this was a landmark issue for another reason. They broke their self-imposed rule and printed the four letter word that begins with "A". Check out the first letter to the editor.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - JV Breaks a Metphor? Need Help From the Left Coast (and Zither Players) - Charles Hansen 00:12:44 04/25/12 (116)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.