Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: JV Breaks a Metphor? Need Help From the Left Coast (and Zither Players)

We learned early in our careers that one of the most important rules of advocacy is to pick your two or three strongest arguments, hammer them home, and forget about the minutiae which does not change anyone's mind. The risk of doing otherwise is that people may remember the minutiae and forget the important arguments. As another poster pointed out below, does Michael Fremer apparently believing that 25 carat gold exists undermine his authority on all things analog? No. So who cares?

I believe I read the same review you did, and at the end of reading the review I said to myself "Wow, a new reference, that's a shock" and "did I miss the comparison between the new reference and the old reference." I re-read the review, and apparently did not miss the comparison. It was not there.

Those points are relevant to his job as an audio critic. Not that I really care what JV writes about audio, but I really can't see anyone caring about his writings on tidal pools. Even if his metaphor was factually correct, would it help me understand the point he was trying to make? No. And I'd be surprised if it would anyone else, either.

Edits: 04/25/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.