Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Your post reminded me of one I wrote here several years ago...

Reading these old issues provided endless hours of enjoyment, but not in the way that I had envisioned. Sure, the record and equipment reviews were helpful and informative. But none of this captured my attention, wakened my senses, like the letters to the editor. Now here was real theatre. Light sparring, good-natured kidding, stinging invectives, incisive recriminations, unadulterated sarcasm- it was all here and wildly entertaining at that. Manufacturers pelted reviewers for an unfavorable rating, reviewers lashed back in kind. Readers insulted other readers for their dearth of audio knowledge; readers sparred with reviewers. Even reviewers lashed out at one another on occasion.....

Lest one think that this was just a forum for lashing out, an arena of wild insults, let me correct that notion. These were, by in large, literate, cogent, well-thought-out missives. The fact that they happened to be, at times, angry and caustic, just heightened the drama and enlivened the debate.

Alas, things have changed at TAS. . For the most part, I now find the letters to the editor section an eviscerated version of its past self, bleached out and desiccated, lacking drama, lacking humor, in short- DULL! Where is the old vitality, the verve, the conflict, the angst? This is the kind of reading material one might peruse at a ladies tea party. The reasons for this I leave to you. I only know that TAS has lost its way; the pilot light has burnt out leaving only the faint sound of hissing gas. PLEASE, before we all fall asleep, let's revisit the old ways, let's hurl a few insults, toss a few invectives, indulge in occasional sarcasm. At least, then, we"ll know we're alive.

Eric

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Your post reminded me of one I wrote here several years ago... - ecl876 08:06:21 04/29/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.