Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: very old information

Morriscab:

Since I hear no audible distortion, what do I have? The transformers in my 1998 Reissue Marantz 9's are exact in every detail to the originals and were made by the same company. It is neutral, yet not sterile, there is that beautiful bloom and soundstage and again, no audible distortion. There are many tube amps that one can say the same about.

This passage is from VAC:

"In 1995 VAC entered into an agreement with Marantz Japan to recreate the legendary Model 7 Preamplifier, Model 8B Stereo Amplifier, and Model 9 Monoblock. These models were made variously between 1958 and 1967, and have been sought after by collectors world-wide as the finest examples of the audio engineering art of their day.

Unlike the McIntosh and other modern "reissues", the Marantz Classics were exacting recreations of the original models. Labor intensive point-to-point wiring was retained - no printed circuit boards here. Extensive archeology by the VAC engineers uncovered original vendors and designs for virtually all key components. Except for a few changes mandated by international safety regulations, these models are as if straight from a 1960 showroom.

Given the nostalgic nature of these components, it was truly amazing to discover that they still can beat many modern audio products, as attested to in several reviews in the late 1990's."

And the spec's for an original:

"Marantz Model 9 Seventy Watt Amplifier
Sleek, efficient beauty hallmarks the unparalleled performance of this massive single-channel 70 watt amplifier. Here is the instrument that proves just how much difference an amplifier can make in high fidelity reproduction. Exceptional stability and low distortion team with its tremendous reserves of power to produce the finest sound available today. Its precision design and construction is mirrored at every point - from superb transient response to the built-in metered adjustments. If you've a taste for luxury and a desire for the purest of sound reproduction, satisfy it with the Marantz Model 9.

SPECIFICATIONS
Power: 70 watts continuous - 140 watts peak. Switch for 40 watt triode operation.
Response: At full rated power; within 0,1 dB - 20 cps to 20 kc; within 1 dB - 12 cps to 40 kc. At 0,5 watt, within 1 dB - 3 cps to 40 kc
Harmonic Distortion: At full rated power; less than 0,1% at mid-frequencies, less than 0,33% - 20 cps and 20 kc.
I.M. Distortion: less than 0,5% at full rated power.
Hum & Noise: better than 100 dB below 70 watts.
Damping Factor: 17. Damping factor may be changed internally by adding current feedback.
Output Impedances: 4, 8 and 16 ohms, plus 1 ohm tap for center-speaker conection.

Construction: Instrument type, precision construction throughout. Circiut assembled on rigid heavy-duty terminal board with machined, silver plated turret-terminals. Wiring connections neatly cabled. Silicon diode B + and bias supplies, with Zener regulation for first stage. Three Sprague type 17D telephone-grade electrolytic capacitors. Over-sized transformers for very cool operation. Heavy front panel with precision-machined knobs, precision d'Arsonval meter, etc.
Test Section: Complete built-in instrument for self-testing and balancing of output and driver tubes. Adjustments for balance of driving signal. The circuit includes five scrowdriver adjustments, a seven-position test switch, and an accurately calibrated d'Arsonval meter. These simple adjustments eliminate the need for matched output tubes and assure optimum performance despite normal tube aging.
Controls: All controls, adjustments and connections with the exception of the Triode switch, are accessible from the front.
Gain Control: Isolated by cathode-follower / phase-reversal circuit.
Phase Switch: For securing corect phase relation (A +B) of phantom center channel speakers fed by two amplifiers.
Low Filter: Subsonic cut-off filter, less than 0,25 dB @ 20 cps - 20 dB @ 3 cps
Test Switch: For bias (plate current) readings for each tube. Built-in test signal for dynamic balance adjustment. Five bias and balance adjustments, as well as all input and output connections are located under snap-out panel
Tube Complement: 2 x 6DJ8/ECC88; 1 x 6CG8; 4 x 6CA7/EL34; 1 Zener Diode; 5 Silicon rectifiers.
Overall Dimensions: 15⅜" x 8¼" x 10½" (W x H x D); Panel 15⅜" x 7¾" (W x H)
Shipping Weight: 60 lbs"

We can go over and over this and it will not change, so why subject the rest of the inmates to it.

All that matters to me is that I truly love my system and no one will be able to dampen the enjoyment I get from it, period. At the same time, I'm glad that you have the same feeling about your system and am not sure why you try to diminish what others have or enjoy.

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

Edits: 01/30/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.