Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: clear as mud - some points of clarification

That's inaccurate.

First of all, as PG will tell you, Magnepan has never heard his modified speakers, or at least hadn't when we discussed it here some months back, at which time PG invited Wendell to hear them.

Furthermore, Wendell was quoted in the press as saying that Magnepan's choice of a first order series crossover was determined by technical necessity. I've speculated that the reason is that a first order series crossover is intrinsically suited to a .5-way supertweeter crossover without a Zoebel network. First order series crossovers are unique in that the summed frequency response doesn't change with driver impedance variations, as inevitably occur as the tweeter narrows down to the supertweeter segment.

Also, Magnepan has used first order crossovers in many speakers, so they are well aware of how they sound. Series vs. parallel makes little difference in that. IIRC, they've used a series topology in the past.

Also, I do not see how PG's crossover could increase efficiency over its parallel equivalent. He's never even measured it. In the absence of measurements, the claim that it increases efficiency is in my opinion out of keeping with the quality of the product he manufactures, and could potentially open him to liability from a litigious client.

Fifty tube watts should be fine in most cases if the load is taken off the bass, Maggies were frequently paired with D-76's and sounded just fine. I think we've seen, based on Wazoo's experience, where the practical limits lie. I like big amps, but I'd be the first to say that the margin between a 50 watt tube amp and a 1000 watt solid state amp is very small. Unless you're some kind of ear masochist, you're going to hear the audible effects of clipping rarely, if at all.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: clear as mud - some points of clarification - josh358 10:11:57 01/26/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.