Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 3.6r amp selection

So, 1scienceguy - get an answer yet? :) We LOVE to talk about amps!

I ascribe to a non-popular thought process: namely, any decent amp, driven to non-clipping levels, will sound identical or very very nearly identical (usually slight rolloff, .1-.2db, at high frequencies). The limiting factors by far are the speakers, placement, and room interaction. The speaker will 'mangle' the source far more than the electronics.

For a little rerading on the differences between amps, I have found these articles to be very good: http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm
under "Aplification" and also "General Information" - AB and ABX testing of amps.

In your situation, I would recommend using your existing amps for some time and enjoying them. Their limiting factor will be how loud they can go - I don't know the exact specs, but looks like at least 200w bridged? I do suggest test the DC offset of each amp while you are connecting things, make sure they are still healthy. I have to buy diapers and pay the mortgage as well, this is a hobby which cannot eat too much of my disposable income...

The good news is that quality watts have never been so cheap. There are incredible deals on hi-po (mostly pro) amps, i.e. Crown, QSC, etc. I am driving my 1.7's with a QSC GX3. Another fellow has a monster Crown driving Tymp's. Generally the only drawback is the fan - some models are noisier than others.

Best of luck and enjoy the 3.6's!!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.