Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: no argument - no problem

morricab:

The only thing that really bothered me was your insistence that the Model 9 has a feedback loop, when it doesn't, nor does it have lots of character, it doesn't. It is one of the most neutral amps ever made and has stood up to the test of time, pretty remarkable considering all of the changes in design and technology advancements.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you heard a newer and not as well built reissue model 9, that are not as desirable.

Some will argue that they're overpriced and that I could have gotten more for my money. I disagree as there just isn't another pair of tube mono's or for that matter, SS out there in the 10-12k range that does it for me. For the record, cost has no bearing on what I buy or like, if it was the case, I would have never bought the Magnepan 2.5's, but I liked them better than the other speakers I've auditioned in the last 4 years.

Some say that the 2.5's and 2.6's were the best dollar for dollar speaker ever made by Magnepan, and I tend to believe that. I would have loved to get a pair of speakers that were more efficient, but again, I really love the 2.5's and with a pair of well placed and integrated subs, I have gained a few db's that allows me to go in Triode for classical and jazz, and when I don't want to damage my hearing....and can go in UL/Pentode, which actually sound better for Rock, Fusion and for listening above 95db.

Have I auditioned as many amps as you, no...but that really doesn't matter as there was a love at first listen thing with my amps and 4 years later, the honeymoon is still there.

SET is great if you listen to classical, opera, old school jazz, and if I had a set of high-end high-eff speakers, I would build a pair of Bottlehead SET mono's with some upgrades as I already have a nice Bottlehead Foreplay Preamp.

To be totally honest, it was a bit of arrogance on your part that got me, usually I would just ignore it and move on and in the future I will do just that.

Hopefully we will part as friends...

Jim

Nothing Sounds Better Than Tubes To My Ears! The Asylum where slander/libel is rampant...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: no argument - no problem - Medium Jim 21:36:58 02/03/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.