Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Naw, SM, I didn't say what they were good for.

"Soundmind you stated "Solid state audio components don't make any sound, neither do tube components." I would have to say that statement is 100% incorrect in a real-world enviroment"

If you put your ear up to one, you might hear the transformer humming. That's about as much sound as it makes. It is strictly an electrical device which can only be properly evaluated by its electrical performance. Setting the criteria for that performance is a big part of what elecrical engineering it all about whether non engineers understand that or not.

"As EVERY audio component is distorting in one way or another, they are adding something to the signal that wasn't there originally. I know you'd probably argue that it's inaudible, but I disagree! "

Based on what? That's the issue. Engineers don't guess. They don't hypothesize. They find out what the required performance is, they set standards they must achieve to meet or exceed it, and then they test their products to see if it meets those standards. Period! Anything else is tinkering. You cannot be an engineer and a subjectivist at the same time, it's one or the other. They may argue the pros and cons of different approaches, the relative merits of different types of shortcomings but they don't design without at least some goal in mind and some way to know if they achieved it. And they don't dismiss the success of one effort, even their own because it doesn't compensate for the failure of another, especially when the product of that other effort varies from day to day and person to person. For all Curl knows, he may have built the perfect amplifier and didn't know it because his method of evaluation can't tell him whether he did or not.

"2)To this comment "Damn those JC-1s are gooood!" (YOU replied, You are easy to please.) Sounds like a critic of his product to me!"

What's the matter, don't you have any sense of humor about life?

"I'd say the fact that audiophiles don't favor your ideas and you other ideas which don't much interest anyone either, speaks volumes about your abilities to design and build a marketable audio product to discerning audiophiles."

Not necessarily but we have no way to know that one way or the other for a long time. Many inventions which were groundbreaking generated no interest at first but later became very widely used. FM radio was one. The acoustic suspension loudspeaker was another.

"When you start designing, manufactuering and selling audio components that others start to prefer over John's designs perhaps then you can start attacking/criticing how John designs, solves problems and defines how and what the function ideally is and what criteria John uses to determine if he has met his design goals in fulfilling that function!"

I could just as justifialy say to you that when you become an engineer, you can enter into a discussion about how engineers approach problems and evaluate the results of their efforts regardless of what field they are in but until you do, you are not ready for such a discussion because you don't understand the issues.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.