Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Yes, the very best amps I heard are till tube.

Hi.

(1) An all-Audio Research system: from turntable/cartridge to speakers, tagged for USD400,000 4 years ago.

All hand-built by Audio-Note Japan except the flimpsy built
larger-than-bookshelf 2-way speaker system (with an 8" woofer) was built by Audio Note England. Phonostage 'M-10' (for Audio Note Reference Limited moving cartridge), & 'Kagon' 17Wx2 4x300B PSE stereo power amp were all triode built.

It sounded so live, natural & effortless like a live band was performing in front of me.

I lost my interest in my cheapie rig for quite a few weeks afterwards.

(2) Tenor 75WP 75W all-triode OTL monoblocks (USD20,000 a pair) driving Rockport Technologes Hyperion speakers (bi-wired 6ft 550lb USD85,000) - "The best stereo sytem I've ever heard" quoted by J. Valin, The Absolute Sound".

As usual, if it sounds lousy, I walk out in a couple of minutes. But this combination, driven by Rockport's System III Sirius 500-lb record player, & Herron VTPH-IMC+ all triode phono-preamp, hooked up with all Tara Labs exotic cables, tempted me to spend a few days of in-depth auditioning.

I dropped my jaw bigtime by its deep-deep soundstaging with pitch dark background, effortless dynamics & see-through transparency.

Above said, I still love the neutral & muscial sound of my 30-year-young 2x60W all-bipolar built direct-current SS power amp (made in Japan), with DC to 200KHz response though I am listening to my DIY super-upgraded 50-year-young Dynakit SP-2 phonostage + ST-70 trioded EL-34 PP power amp.

I love musical sounding amps, glass or sand made regardless.

c-J

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.