Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Naw, SM, I didn't say what they were good for.

"Very little solid state audio components sound musically correct IMHO"

Solid state audio components don't make any sound, neither do tube components. They perform a strictly electrical function. What I asked John Curl to define is what that function ideally is and what criteria he uses to determine if he has met his design goals in fulfilling that function. That is what engineers do, they define design goals and evaluate how well they've met them, they do not evaluate their results by subjective criteria. That may play a role in a marketer's evaluation of sucess or failure but not in an engineer's.

"I'm curious Soundmind as you are constantly attacking, criticizing and berating John Curl as a designer, what audio components do you design & manufactuer that are as good or superior to John's?"

First of all, I did not attack his designs, I questioned the philosophy of his attitude towards the practice of design and engineering and the standards by which to measure it. That is an entirely separate issue. If you must know what I have designed that I have contributed publically so far, it's the concept and circuit which was incorporated (according to me), in the Yamaha DSP1. On the advice of legal counsel, I did not pursue them over it. At this point, it hardly matters anyway, the patent is expired and the idea was never favored much by audiophiles. I have other ideas which don't much interest anyone either.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.