Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Naw, SM, I didn't say what they were good for.

I'm curious Soundmind as you are constantly attacking, criticizing and berating John Curl as a designer, what audio components do you design & manufactuer that are as good or superior to John's?

From his JC-1 preamp which he designed for Mark Levinson and I owned and IMHO stomped all other solid state preamps I heard at that time, to the Blow Torch preamp which John had a hand in, but I never heard, John designers wonderful audio components.

Even if John designs his equipment subjectively as you claim, even if John doesn't have a working defiinition of what an amplifier is supposed to do ideally (which I highly doubt) even if 100% of what it appears you fabricate against John is true, what it really comes down to is this...

Does John, design, manufactuer and sell a solidstate component that sells well? Now I readily admit that selling well isn't typically a graet indicator, after all look at all the IPODS being sold. However when one considers the expense involved in purchasing one of John's products, I'd have to believe that the people laying out those amounts of $$$$$ would listen and probably very carefully before buying, wouldn't you?

Now consider that John does indeed sells his products, which means after listening and considering what must be spent to obtain John's product the consumer decides it's the best (in their opinion) for the $$$$ they're spending. They could have bought a Dan Banquer designed product, but they didn't the bought Johns product.

Now look at the resale price (usually a very good indicator of quality) and notice how John's products command a high resale value and THOSE numbers speak about the quality of John's components.

Unless of course you believe that the majority of solid state loving audiophiles are mindless idiots who don't have the foggest idea what real, live unamplified music sounds like?

Very little solid state audio components sound musically correct IMHO. However John's products are one of the few I include in the group of solid state components that do!

I have to admit for all his arrogance here on Prop Head I haven't th foggest idea what Dan Banquer designs and builds or ever designed and built as far as highend audio components are concerned.

John. My hat's off to you. Just keep on, keeping on. Your continued sucess of designing and selling expensive soild state audio components speaks volumes on what you make.

However willingness to admit publically that a product different from your own, i.e. tubed equipment is as good or better than your solid state components is admireable from my POV. It also speaks volumes about your character as a man!

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.