Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Do you have any data?

"Tubes usually have a better sound than most solid state. This is partially due to the lower order distortion generated by the tubes themselves"

Every specification I have ever seen, every test I have ever done or witnessed had lead me to the conclusion that well designed solid state amplifiers not only produce lower non linear distortion, wider bandwidth, and flatter frequency response than tube amplifiers, but beat them generally by orders of magnitude.

"Also, tubes use less overall negative feedback than solid state amps."

When it comes to results, what difference does it make what goes on inside the box. As far as the user is concerned, an amplifier is a two port black box.

Isn't it true that you do not have any measurements to correlate the results of bench testing amplifier electrical performance with your preferences and that of other audiophiles, not only for amplifiers but for other audio equipment as well? Isn't it fair to say that to credit your preferences to the fact that amplifiers which test worse sound better to some people is jumping to an unfounded conclusion about the amplifier and completely ignores the fact that it may be compensating for or disguising shortcomings of other parts of the reproduction system?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.