Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: Lower orders of harmonic distortion as written up in Cheever's obviously defective paper is a canard

"they are below the threshhold of audibility, what difference what their distribution is?"
Prove the distortion made is below this threshold. According to an earlier discussion with JJ, the thersold, depending on the frequency band, much lower than nearly all amps can achieve. Therefore; the order of the distortion is VERY important.

"If a solid state amplifier's fifth harmonic distortion component is three times higher than it's third, what difference does it make if it's only .05% of the total signal? It's still inaudible"

Is it really? Why don't you use Keith Howards software to add distortion to cds and see what is audible. I did this with a solo violin track and I added distortion based on measurements I found for 1Khz distortion for a variety of amps. The difference was audible.

http://stereophile.com/reference/406howard/

"Do you care which is more toxic and has the higher concentration in your water lead or mercury as long as both of them are far below the allowable safe limits"

Actually there are no safe limits for mercury or lead, which is why they are constantly revising the minimum exposure limits down down down.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Lower orders of harmonic distortion as written up in Cheever's obviously defective paper is a canard - morricab 03:08:24 08/21/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.