Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

I think my question has to do with value...

let me try and explain.

I've read tons of reviews by the major reviewers in Stereophile and TAS (sorry if I offend any reviewers here) where at the end, the reviewer will say something like, "I liked it so much, I bought the reviewed xxx."

And what shocks me at these times is the price of the item. It'll be like a 25K amp or 40K speakers or...you get the idea. At those times, I wonder what these folks do for their living.

I realize that as Josh said, reviewers of verying incomes provide their perspective of the various items reviewed. And, with varying amounts of income put towards audio, some will put more whereas others might put less.

But at the same time, I've read over the years of reviewers being provided with the equipment from the manufactures for an uber long time (as in forever) loan or at super discounted prices, prices none of us would ever see unless it came out hot out of a thief's trunk. And I understand that, manufacturers want their products named in other future reviews written by the reviewer.

However, many of us (myself included) do not have the skill set to be a reviewer of any caliber and therefore are not privy to the goings-on between manufacturer and reviewer and the secret handshakes they share. We're generally forced to scour the pages of AudioGon, Asylum Trader, Craigslist, etcetera for the equipment we're in search of at prices that are reasonable to our varying degrees of disposeable incomes.

Having said all that, back to my original question: What would the Mr. Fremers and Mr. Harleys of the reviewing world own IF every piece of equipment in their system was purchased like the rest of the non-reviewing family of audiophiles?

"Man, that mouse is Awesome." - Kaemon (referring to Jerry, of Tom and Jerry fame)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.