Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: I think my question has to do with value...

I have spent about $19,000 on my analogue audio system: Audio Research SP8 mark II preamp, Audio research D70 mark II amp, Fosgate phono, Auditorium tranny, VPI Scoutmaster tt, Benz Ruby III cartridge, and Dunlavy SCIV speakers. All bought at retail at stores. NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING I have heard either at an audio show or at an store beat my system by a significant margin. Very few equal it. Yes, of course, IMO. I have replaced tubes and caps over the decades, but still, IMO, you do NOT have to spend a fortune to get high end sound. Today, you can get a similar system new for about the same price: Magnapan 1.7 or 3.7 speakers or DeVore Gibbon 3 speakers, Audio Research VSi60 integrated amp instead of my classic speakers and amp. My digital system costs under $6,000: apple ipod, apple computer, Gallo Reference Strada speakers, and iDecco integrated amp. Both Stereophile and The Absolute Sound led me to audition many of the components I eventually bought, and I am eternally grateful for their help. Yes, both high end magazines DO review many relatively inexpensive components that compare with the best.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I think my question has to do with value... - the old school 22:04:37 06/18/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.