Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: That's ridiculous!

Hey Old School, I used to have an annual low-brow wine tasting at our house, where guests brought a wine of their choice (within various categories), and each wine was put into a numbered brown paper bag. Nobody knew which was which (not even me, 'cause by the time they were all bagged and logged, I'd forget which was which!). Folks got a scorecard to rate each wine from one to ten. Prices tended to be in the $3 to $25 range, and the "reveal" at the end was always an eye-opener!

Pharmaceutical companies conduct blind tests of drugs regularly, using placebos as a control.

Actually, Scotch liquor makers do a similar thing. I saw a program about it some months ago. The company featured in the show has a staff which tastes the various batches and blends. Sometimes, the samples were different, sometimes two or all samples were the same. The tasters don't know.

I see no reason why audio reviews can't or shouldn't be done this way as well, other than the staffing issue. It would take a sufficiently profitable organization to have people to do the setups so the reviewer doesn't know what's what. Wouldn't it be fun to "compare" three amplifiers, all of which were the same model, or even the same amp? :)

Edits: 07/04/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: That's ridiculous! - Inmate51 09:24:49 07/04/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.