Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

RE: So...

Well Harley isn't hiding the fact so there is that.

I thought about this today and it dawned on me that perhaps the reason TAS reviewers don't buy a reference system is that they're reference would be deemed inferior.

Let's face it most average people can't even spend the $60,000 that JA spent.

TAS marketing is after all about "The Absolute Sound" which could be taken to mean "The Most Expensive Sound" and if the reviewer's system is ~$15k they won't be viewed as "Elite" reviewers.

That reality exists - I can't get the super expensive products if the rest of my stereo system is deemed entry level. At our publication the expensive stuff goes to the reviewers who own expensive systems like Fred or Constantine because the manufacturer knows the $50k amp will be reviewed against $50Kish amplifiers with $50kish sources and speakers.

The fact that it beats my "reference" $4k amp isn't much use to the manufacturer so they will say "thanks but I'd rather send it to Fred.

It doesn't really have anything to do with ears or writing ability but there is a perception marketability factor. And to be fair here - it would likely be a mismatch - you need the resolution in the rest of the system to really hear what the $50kish product is doing.

So if you're TAS and you want to review the "best" and none of your reviewers can spend more than $10-$15k (if even that) on a stereo then you do the loaner thing.

I suppose that could be the rationale behind it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.