Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Re: The Reality Of It All

>First and foremost, I'll readily admit that it's a fact people have believed an audio component has been changed when in fact nothing has changed. The objectivists use this example as proof that subjectivists are always fooling themselves into believing they hear differences when from the objectivist POV no differences can or do exist.<

That's one of the many problems with the DBT's that objectivists so staunchly tout. I would be willing to bet that I could perform a blind experiment using two items that have real, measurable differences and trick people into thinking they are the same or trick them into believing I switched them when I didn't. DBT's don't necessarily measure what they're supposed to but instead they measure people and behaviors. In that example, the people don't claim the audio equipment is different because they hear different, they're claiming a difference because that's what they were told, and the brain takes over. Bad example if it's being used to further the objectivist POV.

As for the rest of your post, it seems obvious to me that we're not measuring the right things or don't know all the measurements we should use. If we were, all cables would essentially sound alike (with the usual guage, length disclaimers intact, so don't fret, objectivists!) and they do not. The same with solid state amps. Many of them aren't discernible from each other to me but many of them are, even when they're measurements are essentially identical.

But maybe we're just seeing pie in the sky if we think subs and obs will ever agree! I'm told the great cable debate is now in its 4th decade. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: The Reality Of It All - kerr 07:41:55 02/23/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.