Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

The Objectivist Doctor & His Subjectivist Patient

A Subjectivist music lover went, as always to have his yearly checkup. Unbeknownst to the Subjectivist music lover his new doctor was an Objectivist music lover.

Well after awhile the nurse brings the Subjectivist patient into the examination room. After a few minutes pass the Objectivist doctor walks into the room, takes one look at the Subjectivist patient and says, "Man, you look terrible."

The Subjectivist patient says, "Yeah, doc, everyone keeps telling me I look terrible, but I have to tell you I honestly feel great!"

The Objectivist doctor says, "That just can't be, there's absolutely no way anyone could look that terrible and feel great, it's absolutely impossible!"

The Subjectivist patient says, "But doc, I'm telling you the truth I feel great! Why should I lie? In fact, I've never felt better than I do at this exact moment!"

The Objectivist physician replies, "Listen you're just fooling yourself. With all these people telling you how terrible you look, you want so desperately to believe you feel great that you fool yourself into feeling great, when the reality is you look terrible so you MUST be sick."

"But Doc" the Subjectivist patient replies, "That cannot be true. When I woke up this morning I didn't decide to feel great. I just woke up and felt great!"

Ah, the Objectivist doctor thought, now I understand. So the Objectivist doctor turned towards his Subjectivist patient and said, "It's expectation bias!" You woke up this morning expecting to feel great and so you felt great. But I'm afraid the reality is you look terrible so you MUST be very sick."

"No Doc" the Subjectivist patient replies, "That cannot be true either. When I woke up this morning I had no expectations on how I would feel. In fact with everyone telling me how terrible I look, shouldn't my expectations have been biased towards I must be sick? So by your theory shouldn't I have woke up feeling sick? But that's not what happened instead I woke up feeling great and I still feel great! So I don't believe I feel great due to expectation bias either"

Being a staunch Objectivist the doctor knew there had to be a scientific explination as to how his patient could believe he felt great when it was quite obvious that he looked terrible and had to be sick. So the doctor decided that he shouldn't make such a quick a diagnosis. Instead he'd rely on science to prove he was correct. With that in mind the doctor excused himself so he could go and check his medical books which are objective and scientific. That way he could try and figure out objectively & scientifically what was wrong with the patient. So the Objectivist doctor says, "Let me get my medical text. I'll be right back."

Within a few minutes the Objectivist doctor brings a huge book into the examination room and starts to go through the book with the Subjectivist patient...

"Let's see," says the physician...

1) "Looks terrible feels terrible...nope, that's not it.
2) Looks good feels good...nope, that's not it either.

So the Objectivist doctor keeps looking and looking knowing all the while science will have the answer. Finally the Objectivist doctor crys out "Eureka! Here it is, here's the scientific explinantion. Look it's right here!

3) 'Looks terrible, feels great'....You're a vagina!"

With that comment the Subjectivist patient rolled his eyes and walked away knowing he felt great, no matter what the Objective, scientific books said to the contrary.

Thetubeguy1954

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - The Objectivist Doctor & His Subjectivist Patient - thetubeguy1954 08:40:17 02/15/07 (73)

You can not post to an archived thread.