Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

FWIW

Howdy

The clipping sections I found are actually a lot rarer than they look till you zoom in. Also it looks like they are only a fraction of a dB most of the time. This disc sounds fine both on my expensive and my cheaper DACs.

FWIW I've seen some ASRC upsampling DACs fail with signals which never even reached 0dB (but came close). They either didn't use saturation math or the programmers didn't take into account the expected overflow when the input signal was near the limits.

If your system has an upsampler you can turn off or bypass perhaps you can see if that changes or eliminates the problems you hear with this disc.

Just to be clear I agree that there are discs out there which are horribly clipped and also that there are discs out there which have copy protection measures which have sections of crap in them, but I don't think this disc is nearly that bad (tho clearly it would be better if it never quite reached the limits.)

-Ted

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • FWIW - Ted Smith 09:44:37 08/23/06 (1)
    • Re: FWIW - Dan Banquer 10:00:19 08/23/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.