Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

Ok

Typically, all gain stages add distortion components to the signal. Do you know of any perfect ones? I find it logical to use additional gain and/or buffer stages only when they are needed. It seems the reviewer from Widescreen published on your website of the SCPA 1 agrees with my first point. And likewise disagrees with your commentary regarding tube equipment finding an Audio Research preamp musically superior to your stuff.

"As you might expect, the $10,000 vacuum tube ARC preamp sounds harmonically richer and more detailed while presenting a more three-dimensional image".

Indeed, he does give your (former) product a nod for "it seemed to add virtually no objectionable colorations" and does well in the bang-for-the-buck quotient. Well done.

I would quickly acknowledge, however, that if indeed your pre to power amp run were 50 to 100 feet as you indicate was your design criteria, then I would agree that you will need a preamp. In that case, I'm sure my Audio Research unit would have worked out better than the attenuators in my system.

rw

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Ok - E-Stat 10:22:25 08/24/06 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.