Home Propeller Head Plaza

Technical and scientific discussion of amps, cables and other topics.

How can anyone be so consistantly wrong?

First of all, the sound associated with the acoustics is NOT on the recording.

Secondly, there is no known and likely no possible way to record it if for no other reason than the sound due to the acoustics cannot be separated from the sound directly from the source instruments at the microphones.

Third, it would require at least 4 more channels in addition to the two stereophonic channels to record them if it could be recorded at all, channels only multitrack recorders have.

Today, the only method avialable is to process the existing channels through electronics based on mathematical algorithms designed to emulate the physical relationships of the acoustic itself in order to recreate the kind of field the listener hears at a live concert. This takes many speakers strategically placed around a listening room. This is not the same as quadraphonic or home theater systems and it doesn't sound like them.

There are no special requirements in the sense of "low level resolution" whatever that means for these "auxilliary" sound channels. You can believe whatever you like to believe and fool yourself into whatever you want to fool yourself into but to anyone with normal hearing who is honest, there isn't even a remote comparison between what you hear at a live concert and what you hear from a stero system....any stereo system. While fools waste their time tweaking amplifier circuits, wires, cd players deluding themselves that they are actually doing something valuable, acousticians are tweaking the architectural shape, materials, and baffles in concert halls to mold sound to their conception of ideal. Their supporters contribute millions, even tens of millions of dollars on often dubious expectations of improvement while the audiophile tweakers proclaim every change as a major breakthrough. I've offered this link in the past but nobody has taken me up on it even once, however if you want to actually learn something instead of just your usual yammering and what you get from ad copy, listen to Leo Beranek's lecture on the link below. He was a founder of Bolt Beranek and Newman, the leading architectural consultant in the US, probably the world and his lecture deals specifically with concert hall acoustics.

"I simply don't believe you sounndmind. I don't think your system will do a credible job, not with the speakers you have and not with the electronic you are using."

What do you know about it? You never saw it, you don't understand it, and you aren't really interested in it anyway. OTOH, the US Patent office was interested enough to grant me a patent and at least one company was interested enough to steal it. Funny, even though it offers real hope, few have even bothered to explore what possibliities it offers.

Here's the link to real knowledge nobody will use anyway. Go back to your ad copy, your stereo system, and your delusions.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.