Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Long time no hear :-)

Howdy Christine

It has been a while, give me a buzz if you're back in town with some extra time on your hands :)

Well I haven't built a multichannel DAC yet so I'll keep the Meitner for a while :)

PCM at 24/88.2, 24/96 and higher is essentially the same as stereo DSD, EXCEPT perhaps for a little ghostlyness. By this I mean that it has the same soundstaging, freq response, quickness, ease, and other such features as DSD, with the exception that DSD is still a little more real sounding than PCM. At this point if I'd never heard stereo DSD I'd probably not miss it.

I still don't like a lot of 16/44.1 as much. It's great to listen to, but there's something more missing. Tho I'm quite happy with my 176.4 and 192 to double rate DSD upsampling filter I'm still playing with the 44.1 to 88.2 filter (which is also the 48 to 96 filter) and I'm not sure if there's anything more to extract from 44.1 with different/better filters or if I've reached it's limits (as far as my aging ears anyway.)

[edit] I should add that tho in the past I hated USB audio I'm quite happy with USB to my DAC. FWIW I run WinAmp w/ ASIO in the background and I can run 3 parallel FPGA compiles while doing other work (even including ripping CDs) and never miss a beat or even hear any difference compared to using the laptop for WinAmp exclusively. I guess it also helps that I don't care a hoot about timing, just get me the bits :) Still Windows 7 64-bit (finally) lets mear mortals do what we did under Windows 3.01 with custom hardware and device drivers back in the 80's :)

-Ted

Edits: 10/24/10 10/24/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.