Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: If you are thinking of offering your DAC for sale ... I'll help you write the marketing blurb

Howdy

I've done the typical engineer thing: doing the fun part without knowing where they'll go after that...

I wasn't trying to drum up business :) In fact I sort of despise some people on a few other fora that shill their own projects to drum up demand for a "group buy" or then start offering kits.

In truth I've been down in my basement all by myself so long that I sort of miss the Asylum and other human interaction. (Well I don't want to discount my wonderful wife, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to pursue a project like this.)

I guess I was looking for a little validation from my online friends :)

Also, now that this thing works reasonably well it's time to change gears: I'm serious about either using it for a resume or somehow finding some funding. I know that I'm an engineer not a president/marketing guy/manufacturing guy or whatever. Learning new technical things is what I enjoy and am good at.

To get the costs down to something reasonable I'd have to do at least one more turn and I'd need input on what people really want. If I make a deal with a company or whatever I'd be looking for their input: USB? Dual AES cables? CD Text, Track and time decoding and display? A volume control? Multichannel? Vertical packaging into a complete system or just a box that works with x, y and z standard inputs? Field upgrade of the algos? DXD support? The list is endless and I know from experience that the features I value aren't necessarily those that most other people value.

If I were to just concentrate on, say, a low cost kit for friends (and I have gained new friends recently :) I'd be quite concerned that I couldn't make many of them mutually happy and the whole thing would turn into a drag. Also I'd either have to have a complete turnkey product or give out enough schematics, code, etc. to allow people to work on their own devices. This would clearly screw my chances of selling the tech to a company...

-Ted

P.S. Just in case I didn't use enough :)'s above:
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.