Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Two questions...

"But as I mentioned earilier I'm still thinking about the filters in the 2:1 upsamplers."

Not much you can do about that one, because the best solution will depend on the filter used in the original recording. I've found it convenient to explore this space by using the 64 bit Izotope SRC and doing file to file sample rate conversions. My inclination would leave this level of SRC to software in a PC, if this is convenient. My experience with upsampling (e.g. 44.1 to 176.4) most CDs is that best results are obtained with a minimum phase filter with moderate slope, set at 94% of Fs/2 and eliminating nearly all images by Fs/2. However, the recordings I've been making use a similar anti-alias filter to downsample to 44.1, and with these best results are had with a traditional half-band sinc filter (which really gives what's "on" the recording). Of course the variations in upper octave phase and amplitude are really subtle tone controls.

Did you consider going to even higher clock rates on the output, e.g. the actual Vertex clock rate, or would the computation in the modulator be too expensive?

Tony Lauck

"Diversity is the law of nature; no two entities in this universe are uniform." - P.R. Sarkar

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.