Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Let me get this out of my system...

"You seem to miss my point."

-- And you seem to have missed mine. At least we have that in common.

"What makes your Sunday morning/headphones percept more "there" (as you put it) than your Saturday night/Rioja one? What leads you to assume that one result is somehow "right" and the other one is mere self-deception?"

-- Nothing is confirmed, but as I said in the original post, the headphone listening seems to reveal mic placement that points to a creation, not a capturing of that ambient space. A manipulation. Don't make too much of it. It was only meant to illustrate how easily humans can hear what they expect to hear.

"What I do not accept is that MR industry techniques can be extrapolated to the psychological/perceptual arena. "

-- Well, you can refuse to accept it if you like, but if the research doesn't reveal anything actionable about human psychology/perceptions, it serves no purpose. This is why it exists.

"You, it seems to me, are one of them - you regularly argue here that "DBTs" performed by any Tom, Dick or Harry in the audio context typically produce more robust psycho-acoustic data than any listening tests. They don't."

-- Dramatically put, and overstated, but I believe this: If you, or any individual music lover will go to the trouble to test two pieces of gear, files, etc., against each other in a manner that prevents them from seeing which piece is playing when, you will eliminate the potential for psychological bias and get a much more objective evaluation. That's common sense. I also believe that if you did that, you would spend a lot less money in the first place and trade a lot less often in the second. Which might totally miss the point.

"Curiously, in this case, you're doing the opposite. You're right to argue that Gordon's wav/lossless "blind test" performed in an unknown manner on unknown subjects at a trade show (!) without statistical analysis of the "results" is not robust and that his listening tests are probably more valid."

-- I haven't commented on Gordon's DBX testing at all. I've received email notification of its existence, but haven't read it yet, so I'm not at all sure what you're talking about.

P

Edits: 03/01/10 03/01/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.