Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Let me get this out of my system...

Of course it depends a lot of factors. That's stating the obvious.

However, higher thermal power plus higher clock frequency = higher RFI. Can't walk away from that one.

But it is also true that modern CPUs automatically underclock themselves when idling - definitely true for Apples (controlled by the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext kernel extension).

In the end, we don't know unless we measure it. And even then, the impact depends on a whole host of other things.

I don't think Gordon's point was based on RFI - previously he has posted that he believed the differences were due to CPU "spikes" which are more pronounced for slower processors which he claims affects the THD.

Now, that is *exactly* the sort of effect that a good async USB design is supposed to isolate against. I have measured my DAC on slow and fast systems, and can confirm there is no measurable change in THD. Then again, I don't notice any CPU "spikes" on my systems ...

That's why I pointed it's ironic that if what he claims is true, then it does imply that the async USB design is ineffective in preventing exactly the sort of issue it was designed to protect against.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Let me get this out of my system... - Christine Tham 15:43:45 03/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.