Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Let me get this out of my system...

In all experiments the experimenter makes the design, the experimental setup and is supposed to know what he is doing.

Quite - the notion that an experimenter has to be ignorant of what he/she is doing to "prevent bias" is so fatuous it is not even worth discussing. (I can see why there is a case for doing it in market research but that's a different matter.)

In the audio sphere, many of those who advocate "DBT" methodologies seem each to have their own idea of what the optimum procedure is but are reluctant to tell you what it is, apparently rely on the naive assumption that essentially the same test design is adequate for every parameter you care to investigate and definitely have a thin skin if you question their ideas.

Almost invariably, it turns out that they have not conducted tests of the type on which they claim expertise and cannot even point you to competent reports of examples conducted on the lines they recommend. (If anyone can, I'd greatly appreciate it.)

It's a mess - I don't blame manufacturers and designers for trusting their ears rather than the aggressive meanderings of experimental wannabees.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.