Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Opto-couplers provide that isolation, e.g. in the Ayre QB-9

If noise is really the issue, then I have trouble understanding the logic behind some of Gordon's recommendations. Let's take the "headroom" argument for example. If more computing power = more headroom = better sound, why stop at a Mac Mini? The Mini is also a curious choice when you consider RFI/EMI issues because everything is packed closely together and the GPU is on the same board. I'd think there's far more opportunity for RFI to pollute the USB connection with such packaging. Ditto for a laptop. If minimizing noise over the USB interface is important, wouldn't it be better to take USB off a daughter card installed in a regular desktop case and run the computer headless controlled via Ethernet?

Even the choice of OS X (or Windows in Cics case) is curious. If having other non-audio processing going on impairs audio playback, wouldn't it be better to use a stripped down embedded Linux that only plays audio?

Being skeptical, I often wonder whether Gordon's choice of Mac Mini + OS X is primarily aesthetic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Opto-couplers provide that isolation, e.g. in the Ayre QB-9 - DaveK 06:10:29 03/02/10 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.