Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Let me get this out of my system...

Sometimes when I listen to "Sunday At The Village Vanguard" late at night in my listening room, with a good glass of wine in my hand, I can feel the ambiance of the room and locate the other patrons talking softly and clinking their glasses around me; I enter that physical space and wonder if the reproduction of a performance gets much better than that.

Other times, when I put on my headphones in the clear light of day, I understand that Scott LaFaro's bass is panned too far to one side, that the microphones must have been too close to really record the ambiance of the room relative to that performance, that the room sounds may have even been captured by a separate mic, that the ambiance is an illusion and that it was my emotions, desire and expectations that translated that extra mic into the palpable space and contents of the Vanguard.

Headphones don't create a soundstage like stereo speakers do. It's as simple as that. Plus, the hard panning is much easier to tolerate through speakers than headphones. I don't know why you assume the headphone experience is correct and discount your earlier observations when the headphones can't possibly provide the same experience from that recording.

I know the recording well. When played back on a system with good imaging, there is a clear separation between the players (close) and the crowd (distant) and the crowd is captured in stereo.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.