Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: But that's exactly what I, and many here, don't understand about your logic.

It doesn't matter what you enjoy. I'm sincerely glad that you do. But it matters if it is reported here, by "authorities," as if it were established fact, because it dismisses true standards and replaces them with a subjectivism that has eroded the credibility of audiophiles and audiophile manufacturers and the audiophile press. It has been around now for many years, has taken the rigor out of, and all but banished measurement from product development and audio journalism, leaving us with handsome, expensive kit that too often is out-performed by good "mid-fi." As a result, the lion's share of the progress seems to be taking place in the pro audio market and the high end seems to be doing little more than re-cycling old ideas and applying often misguided analog principles to digital information for old hobbyists who seem to have abandoned the quest for fidelity to a comforting tone. I think it has been very bad for the hobby and the industry and I hate to see it coming into the digital arena. I wish it had stayed with the analog loyalists where it would no longer impede progress.

MHO. YMMV, of course, but frankly, I fail to see how my POV is any more of an "agenda" than the belief that everything makes a difference, even when there is no clear reason to expect it to and instruments many times more sensitive than our ears say it does not.

I'm sure this will stir up a lot of ire, but you asked. With that, I'm growing tired of the angst, and even more weary with a relative few who, while they feel free to repeatedly express their own views, seem to think the expression of mine is an offense to audiophiledom. I think I'll withdraw for now.

Rylands -- There is no cultural or language divide here. The moderator is the person who guides and interacts with the participants during testing, as opposed to the person who designs the methodology or interprets the results. If you can't understand why that person would need to be as blind as the participants in an AB/X study, I recommend Google as a starting point. I suspect a bit of reading will also inform you that AB/X studies are, indeed, a recognized, respected research tool, not a house party or a marketing plan, as you seem to believe. And THAT, by the way, is how I know you're out of your depth here. You may be able to write the book on some other brand of research, but this one is clearly not within your range.

P

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.