Home Computer Audio Asylum

Music servers and other computer based digital audio technologies.

RE: Linux Build?

That's all well beyond my capabilities, but I think there are probably critical areas that could be done better eg in the wasapi example event driven is the best for SQ and yet why has no one thought to put the release statement next to the event statement instead of having an unnecessary step right after the event call ie preload the buffer ready to fire when an event trigger happens. Presumably the same method is used in other players.

I have reduced this player down to 1 thread, single core, no disk access after play starts and no user interaction other than start and stop, so basically it has been built from the ground up with attention to what affects the sound. It is an extreme solution, but people are paying thousands to try and improve digital sounding systems so why not be prepared to suffer a little. You can always have a lower grade player as well if you want all the bells and whistles.

The most perplexing thing was the difference the build optimisation settings made, so again if a programmer is not paying attention to the sound quality they can have a great program and then affect the sound by some innocuous build setting.

Have gone back to a lower latency setting was losing too much of the transients with 0.5s.

Will make better instructions etc once it gets to a final stage, that's if there is interest.

I found it was hard to pick up the differences a small change made when listening to the main system, so I tried plugging headphones into my laptop with the player running and was amazed at the quality, the player has turned my laptop into an audiophile quality device - when using headphones anyway.

The version I am working on is a lot better than the one available for download, shall probably release it next week. Found there were a load of things that can be switched off inside the program just like switching services off on a pc affects the sound. One of the settings was called Windows Lean and Mean would you believe.
http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.