Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: Chinese Whispers?

Mr. Curl? Nothing to say to me?

Considering the actual facts as I recalled them in a message just above, about which you could easily have asked me about any number of times in all these years, you seem amusingly bent on sticking to your story and throwing cow pies at the passing parade hoping for the best.

"I am not trying to make a problem with 'Stereophile', you, or anyone else," you say.

But you have incorrectly smeared me, Mr. Curl. I am in business now. Words count. And you don’t seem to be taking any responsibility for your smear, other than justifying it to JA by defending another reviewer who’s in the crapper.

In another thread in July that I was unaware of you say, "... a few years ago, a former 'Stereophile' reviewer refused to return the line cords or cables that my former business partner, Bob Crump sent in for review. “

A “few years ago”, Mr. Curl? Can you be accused of “setting the scene” with florid lighting? That was sixteen years ago Mr. Curl! I'm actually fairly pleased you had to reach back that far to find some of the icky sticky substance you're trying to peddle—and not take responsibility for.

You continued, “Bob tried over and over, and was quite ticked off by the situation." Then you aggressively engaged JA regarding accountability, mentioned it again in a thread above, even while now mewling, “I’ve said too much.” Shades of Plamegate.

I agree that even though it was a real long ago, what's right is right and that's fine with me. But if Bob had ever ONCE after saying "keep'em and use'em" told me he wanted his power cords back, I would have sent them. Now call me a liar, Mr. Curl.

"I talked to that very guy at the 'Stereophile' party at CES. Should I have jumped all over him about it, or just let it go, as I have seen other examples like this over the years?"

Mr. Curl, where’s you backbone? I’d be ashamed to have a guy like you as a friend if that’s the way you deal with what you perceive as difficult matters! Added to your story about a wealthy reviewer demanding a free preamp—as you say, it doesn’t matter, it’s the principle, hah!--you said you remained friends with him! Doesn’t take much to be your friend, I guess, Mr. Curl. But I wonder how I got on your enemies list?

I always treated you with respect, I thought. I’ve been doing good business with Scull Communications for over two years now, and I don’t believe there’s anyone left out there who hasn’t taken the time, if they wanted to, to tell me off between the time I left Stereophile and when I opened my own company.

Fair enough. It’s a little late, but stand up and attack me like a man instead of backstabbing me with a misinformed 16-year-old no-facts innuendo “complaint” used as a device to attack JA while mewling in your reply that you’re sorry it got this far. Man, the hypocrisy is giving me hiccups. Just how did it get this far, Mr. Curl? Why, because you keep pushing it, of course, as I have quoted you above and as JA has mentioned in other postings.

I wish you had said something that night at CES. I would have marched right over to Bob and straightened it out as is my way. But you didn't speak up; instead you "fought with yourself" (hah!) over it—I can just hear the internal conversation now—and tucked that little resentment in your back poopie pocket to use on a rainy day.

And I’ll always remember my conversations through the years with Bob Crump with great fondness, taking comfort that he was an outspoken guy who told me what he wanted me to know.

Alas, the same cannot be said of you, Mr Curl.

Jonathan

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: Chinese Whispers? - Jonathan Scull 14:07:55 03/08/07 (0)

You can not post to an archived thread.