Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Ahhh...youthful idealism...

...maybe you should start an audio magazine like you describe. The question is - would anyone want to read it.

If there is a big market for a publication like that, someone would have already done it.

First of all, no reviewer wants to spend their time reviewiing bad sounding equipment.

I don't really think audiophiles want to read reviews of bad sounding equipment anyway, as much as they protest.

Every review is critical of the equipment, some more than others, since nothing is perfect.

Audio reviews are merely entertaining guides to help you chose equipment to audition. Unless you have exactly the same listening biases and priorities I do, my review won't help you purchase equipment you'll like.

Most audio equipment reviewers do it part-time as a hobby and get paid a couple of hundred dollars for investing many hours over a few months to do a thorough review.

Without the ability to purchase at accomodation prices - like everyone else in the industry - few would be willing to do it.

The vast majority of reviewers I know go out of their way to be thorough, impartial and protect their reputations.

The problems occur when people act unethically. That can happen no matter what kind of structure or safeguards you put in place.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

You can not post to an archived thread.