Home Critic's Corner

Discuss a review. Provide constructive feedback. Talk to the industry.

Re: My interpretation of the explanation given is

With respect to different ballpark. What I had in mind was, in response to your suggestion that if I got to know industry people it might help my outlook, that you, as a dealer, would have contact with these people as a matter of course. JV has perhaps satisfied those who must be satisfied at the mag, sure. And the fallout from the flap may be nothing at all for the AS. If I don't renew my subscription it won't be for this reason, but rather if I get weary enough of the same old same old positive reviews of everything. And I think being a dealer might be fun (Im sure it's often difficult), but one thing that you have to look at as a dealer is making a profit (which you should) and that's something I don't have to worry about. U can go strictly for 'bang for the buck' if I want, and if that turns out to be someone like Audio Alchemy in days of old who had great products but (from what I read in those mags) didn't have a good profit structure, so be it. And if I don't mind buying used on Audiogon, there's another difference in perspective. And if I can buy online at a discount from legitimate dealers (Audio Advisor, for example), I'll do it. However, if my ship ever comes in (and in Arizona that's unlikey), and I want to buy a pair of Quad electrostatics or bottom of the line Sound Labs or whatever strikes my fancy that way, I will seek out a brick and mortar dealer and if I can find one within some radius, will travel there to listen and get whatever advantages dealers (still) offer. Given your posts on this thread, if you had what I wanted and were close enough, I'd look you up. (But I would try to avoid discussing hifi mags and their ethics with you!). Thanks for the interesting responses.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Re: My interpretation of the explanation given is - TomLarson 11:27:10 03/08/07 (1)

You can not post to an archived thread.