Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: There's a lot of justified griping, but Elizabeth did you

All I'm saying is that maybe we don't really have enough of a sample base to say how many of the speakers are built that badly.

I have to respectfuly disagree.

First, I have seen several pairs of Maggies naked, and regardless of how well they may sound for their cost, their low cost is directly related to significant shortcuts in manuufacture. It really doesn't take a whole lot of training to recognize 2nd rate workmanship. Its readily apparent in the frames, the feet, the tension buttons and the way they're attached through the mylar to the pole piece, the wiring, the use of paper and the use double sided sticky tape under the buttons. and most of all the way the panels are attached to the frames. The list goes on. With practically any high end speakers today, when you take off the grille cloth the speakers still looks first rate, and perhaps even better. When the grill cloth is off the Maggies, it is very apparent how they can be sold at such reasonable prices.

Second, although the number of regular posters is far more than 10-12, your argument about insufficient sample size seems reasonable at first. As you point out, the posters on this site are only a small subset of the Maggie owener population. It begs the question therefore, if we here who are more knowledgable are seeing a significant number of construction flaws, one can only wonder how many undetected flawed or substandard Maggies are being owned and played by the general public who just don't know better.

Maggies, because you can never be too thin!

Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.