Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

but this isn't the point

The issue is not about the quality of materials or the basic design. The issue, and it is a serious one, is simply the workmanship - how those parts are assembled. All of the things about which you commented are design elements, not shortcomings in the actual assembly of those parts.

PG (and, I believe, the bulk of this community) is not asking for Magnepan to design their speakers differently; he's only asking them to take pride in their manufacture - to build them with care and attention to detail. Keith's point that PG may not have seen a proper cross-section of these speakers to accurately assess Magnepan's real quality standards is well constructed, but I also respectfully disagree. Even though the number of speakers he has modified is a tiny fraction (of a fraction) of Magnepan's annual output, I think he is in a better position to comment on this matter than just about anyone who doesn't work at Magnepan (and, apparently, they either don't know or care).

I agree with your last point (and it's why I respectfully disagree with Keith). I was lucky. The only construction issues I found in mine were some really poorly crimped connectors. Sure, the evidence that these speakers are built on the cheap is overwhelming, but that's a different matter entirely. Quite a few loonies in this forum have tackled that issue head on, and we've discovered how marvelous the Magnepan transducers actually are. I think the truly amazing thing is how well a pair of Maggies performs in spite of the construction flaws that plague them.

I think the central theme of this thread is the importance of Quality Control. Perhaps an ISO9001 certification (and the requisite controls) would be good for Magnepan. Honestly though, such a certification (and its required practices) is completely unnecessary if only their employees would execute their work with pride and craftsmanship. That's all we're asking.

Edits: 02/24/10

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.