Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: You live in the dark ages ......Think like a caveman,

Sorry, but you are ignoring the re-charge cycle particularly. When a cap is recharging it is HOGGING CURRENT AWAY FROM the load.

When it is too large for the application, it's discharge/energy release cycle is VERY SLOW----wwwwwwwwwwwwww! YOU CAN HEAR THAT! It is NOT Thrilling!!!!!

This is so blatantly obvious to those builders that have experimented with capacitor and choke values in designing amps, that it's become ridiculous and repetitive to keep on repeating it.

Those old theories taught in those old tube books are not high fidelity-to-signal.

They NEVER WERE. I've used just about every tube amp out there for some sort of commercial app-- not all of them, but most of the best ones.

They DO NOT reproduce music RIGHT! NONE of those tube amps ever did...

Nothing built with those old, obsolete theories does today.

This is SO EASY to test! EASY! Get a Spectral DMA200S amp, or any 200 watt or greater Boulder, or a large, newest Bryston., etc., and see how it handles fast transient attacks in music.

Then, get out your tube amps-- I don't care-- get the best you know of, and watch them fall all over themselves trying to get out of the way of a GOOD amp.

Well, it just so happens that I designed a TUBE amp that actually works. For a while, it was the ONLY one. Now, it's starting to get some decent competition, and that is good-- VERY good. It means that I can give this up, retire, and have a good time.. That's right, we actually reproduce music, something tube amps normally fall down at.

Better look out! That old crap might include your amps if you followed all those old cap and choke theories for old push-pulls and tried to stuff them into a S.E. amp. Yes, it will sound slow-- just like all those other tube amps of yesteryear-- perhaps with today's VASTLY better resistors and caps, it will be a bit better, but will still fall short as far as reproducing today's best recorded music is concerned.

Someday, what's going on here will be common knowledge. Today, you can still get away with throwing darts at people like me who know what's up-- but all you're getting away with is Old Theory-- not anything scientific or provable by actual measured and listened-to musical performance.

Oh yes, it's s good idea to stop obsessing about what those old-fogies were measuring to sell cheaply designed amps with, and start measuring what actually matters-- musical reproduction SPEED, RESOLUTION, and DYNAMICS-- both Micro and Macro.

We're Light Years beyond that old stuff now. Your still popular Theory Train is slowing down and it's railroad tracks are starting to widen and loosen.. Reality could lie around the next Bend....

---Dennis---

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.