Home SET Asylum

Single Ended Triodes (SETs), the ultimate tube lovers dream.

RE: Great Post !!!!

gargoyle -what happens if you extend out beyond 4 seconds and allow the 150uf cap to discharge?

I *think* the idea is that the low storage supply would recover from overload faster. it's hard to see that in a small window of time.

yes it drops 1 or 2 volts faster than the supply with more henries and capacitance, but also recovers faster. the other thing is the belief that while the 150uf capacitor is sinking current to recharge the output tube is starved for current, whereas the smaller caps won't have so much of an effect.

I think another issue here as the simulations get more elaborate, it's hard to nail all the variables for an accurate simulation.

the document that jeff speaks of, where he put all of the JLH posts he found that reinforces his power supply ideas, is VERY good IMO.

at some point if you guys are really curious, spend the $50-$100 on some chokes, mock up the supply and get your test gear out.

I'd recomend the flywheel stuff over this more recent power supply...

the stuff to use that is proven is the triad c56u and 2 stages of triad c40x.. hammond 159za is a bit better than triad c40x but costs about double.

three stages, .035h, 15uf, .3h, 50uf, .3h, 50uf

very low dcr toroid transformers where used by JLH. he got his "dynamic impedance" down to around 78 ohms with cree diodes in a bridge. not 650 ohms, he'd call that junk. 200-250 ohms with tube rectifiers.

he also did test with a frequency generator and found very little change in b+ across the frequency range, and was satisified with supply impedance at that point.

Jeff's got the document, and I think its worth a read. goes WAY beyond Jeff's interpretation..

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.